Sunday 7 August 2011

Day after Claymore

I visited the Claymore show in Edinburgh yesterday. An annual pilgrimage. It was OK, but nothing there really inspired me. There was a 28mm ECW game and a 15mm Crimean War game which looked reasonably interesting, but nothing for the horse and musket era in between. The only stuff I bought were paints and ready-cut bases. 

However, there was one thing that made me suspicious and just a little disappointed. There are very few boardgames at shows now, so I had a quick browse along the shelves of the one trader who had some games. There was a little sign that said 10% off. I looked at some games and then a copy of Command and Colors which I saw was priced at £50. I just stared - speechless.   

Pause - I have played Command and Colors with friends and have been thinking of getting my own copy. I know the current rrp of the game and what it sells for. And I already have the Napoleonic version.   

So - here's me looking at a game priced £50, and I know it has an rrp of £45 and usually sells for around £40. And then I'm thinking - this trader has inflated his prices so that when he 'generously' offers his 10% show discount he's actually selling the game for the rrp.  

It reminded me of Claymore last year, when a rather well-known Books seller inflated the prices of some rules sets. I reckon they just added what they'd normally add for postage, probably hoping that people standing with the product in their hand are not going to quibble about an extra 2 or 3 quid.  

And so - OK - maybe the traders are just offsetting expenses or transport costs, but it feels just a little like we're being ripped-off.     

2 comments:

  1. Tom I so agree with your comments re traders- bad form to say the least!

    I too came away uninspired having only bought pre cut bases too.

    Perhaps you are hearing the siren- song of old school figure calling?
    cheers
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each fake Omega of the new Radiomir Mediterraneo Edition models is powered by an in-house fake Hublot movement. For the 42mm PAM01144, the movement of choice is the handwound P.1000 fake Cartier movement, with twin barrels, a Gluycdur mainspring, and a hefty 72 hour power reserve. The PAM01078, on the fake IWC other hand, opts for the microrotor automatic P.4000 powerplant, also featuring a high-tech Gluycdur mainspring and 72 hours replica watches of power reserve. Both new Radiomir Mediterraneo Edition models are paired with a matching dark blue alligator replica watches uk leather strap, featuring tan contrast stitching that plays well off of the warm tones of the fake rolex patina lume.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.